Definition of Circumlocution A roundabout or indirect way of speaking; the use of more words than necessary to express an idea. | A roundabout expression.
Short Example Sentences for Circumlocution
- 1. A chapter in the Circumlocution Office painfully unfolded itself. 🔊
How to use Circumlocution in Sentences?
- 1. He insists that a member shall say his say without circumlocution or repetition. 🔊
- 2. The circumlocution and indefiniteness of this letter led me to infer that there was something behind it which the writer had not stated. 🔊
- 3. That was usually a name of excellence by some circumlocution or metaphor, based on their own old name. 🔊
- 4. Ask her to write me and tell me without circumlocution what she thinks of my effort, especially the conception on the whole. 🔊
- 5. She avoided all circumlocution and made a direct application to him for a drawing of the whole park to send to her brother in Saxony. 🔊
- 6. After much circumlocution he finally mentioned the daughter, Praising her highly, and praising the man and the house that had sent him. 🔊
- 7. If private generosity was not appealed to circumlocution must be resorted to by means of requisitions which would be slowly forwarded to London and there passed upon. 🔊