Definition of Estrange
(transitive) To cause to feel less close or friendly; alienate. To cease contact with (particularly of a family member or spouse, especially in form estranged). | (transitive) To remove from an accustomed place or set of associations.
How to use Estrange in Sentences?
- 1. The bold gaze of the stranger would naturally excite his anger against him, but why should it estrange him from me? 🔊
- 2. We are threatened with school laws the purpose of which is to unchristianize our children, to estrange them from the spirit of religion. 🔊
- 3. Receive a stranger into thine house, and he will distract thee with brawls, and estrange thee from thine own. 🔊
- 4. It had been on the tip of her tongue to tell me, and to ask my help, yet on reflection she realised that her confession would estrange us. 🔊
- 5. It lacks permanence: misunderstandings can estrange us: slander can embitter us: death can bereave us. 🔊
- 6. The King said he had, but if he made it known he would get no thanks for it and might estrange his best friend. 🔊
- 7. Brief toutes nations estranges qui donnent dans nostre escriture la blasment: comme qui est par trop estrange de la prononciation françoise. 🔊
- 8. All her anxiety on his account seemed but to estrange her from her sweet girl, about whom, by the way, her brother no more concerned himself than though she had not been in existence. 🔊
- 9. It is scarcely necessary to add, on the other hand, that attention to this first of all concerns must not be allowed to estrange the mind from the various duties and responsibilities of active life. 🔊
- 10. To have nothing in our life and in our manners which may appear to belie what we say, or which may estrange the minds and hearts of those whom we wish to win to God. 🔊
- 11. It would have wounded her self-love to have learned that the influence of a comparative stranger had been used, and with some effect, to estrange her Charley. 🔊
- 12. We merely ask, do not estrange us from you, do not destroy the ancient tie of blood, do not let scoffers and slanderers drive a kindred nation from your side. 🔊