Definition of Hegemony
(formal) Domination, influence, or authority over another, especially by one political group over a society or by one nation over others. | Dominance of one social group over another, such that the ruling group or hegemon acquires some degree of consent from the subordinate, as opposed to dominance purely by force.
How to use Hegemony in Sentences?
- 1. How does it come, then, that this particular method achieves such an effective hegemony over the other modes of reflection? 🔊
- 2. The princes who had adhered to what was known as the Prussian hegemony seized the first opportunity to renounce it. 🔊
- 3. It was also important as establishing the hegemony of France on the southern shores of the Mediterranean. 🔊
- 4. And it seemed that only a short ladder lay between the preparation room and the Anglo-Saxon hegemony of the globe. 🔊
- 5. After the subjugation of the Alemanni, the principal role, the hegemony within the Teutonic race, belongs to the Franks. 🔊